Select Page

Hi, my name is Lis and this is my first post on Global Teacher.  I am new to the world of blogging and gave myself a crash course over the summer holidays and then set up a blog for my Grade 3/4  class this year:   www.r18moomba.globalstudent.org.au (The Think Tank).

So far it has been a blast…..here are some tips that I have come up with already and could be useful for those new to blogging…

• Really think about the purpose of your blog, is it to inform parents, a place to put resources for children, homework support, a place for reflection or an alternative space for children to post their homework?  Mine is a combination of reflection/resources and a place to show parents what is happening at school. It is actually evolving as I learn more and the purpose becomes broader!
  • Don’t try and do it all at once…start small,  That way you are not overwhelmed and can start adding a few fancy bits when you get the hang of things.
  • Make your blog a place the children visit frequently and want to visit.  I am really encouraging them to reflect regularly.  I include time during the week for them to reflect either on their week or a particular task.  I often ask a small group to blog as part of a computer task,  literacy or maths rotation.
  • Teach specific skills for blogging and highlight things you add to the blog.  In our lab time I start each session with a visit to our blog and I highlight terrific comments the children have made and we discuss why they are good.  I also  model how to write a comment.  Their latest comments about teasing highlight how they are really starting  to understand how to make comments back to each other.  I purposely did not comment this time so that they could take the lead.
  • I have each comment emailed to me – and make sure I approve the first comment they make.   I firmly  believe that their spelling should be correct because it is in a public space …the children are working on it, but in the meantime I edit each post (This can be an  onerous task , but I try and only have small groups blogging each day – and have been managing quite successfully).
  • The blog is a great place to give individual feedback.  I try to write back to each child (or a group of children if the comments are similar)  every time they comment.  It sounds like a lot of work, but I do it at the end of the day usually and have managed to fit it into my day.
  • I have photographed some of their work and put it on the blog.  The children scream with excitement when they see it and I have had such lovely positive comments from parents.  The children think I make the slideshows myself!!  I am debunking the myth… I have used slide and photobucket to do this – two really easy free web based programs to use.

I hope this helps those who are just starting out!  I would encourage everyone to give  it a go. I am quite amazed by the positive responses I have been getting from the whole school community and what a powerful learning tool the blog can be.  I have also learnt so much invaluable information  about individual children through their comments….

Lis

Viewing Message: 1 of 1.
Notice

Attention Global2 users: Department-funding for Global2 is being discontinued.

The Department of Education and Training will not be funding the use of Global2 past the end of the current contract on 31st of December 2020.

Please refer to FUSE for further details on the discontinuation of funding and transition options available for schools.