If you are a Victorian Government or Catholic school student you are able to use Global2 if your school makes the decision to sign you up. Your school will have kept your parents informed to make sure they know about the blog. Your school will have chosen to use this form of social media to help you to learn about developing the skills to manage your own social media. It is important to think of this your professional space. It is where you present the best work you can and think about what you share to make a good impression to the people who will see it. Global2 is managed by the Department of Education and Training (DET).
You may be signed up to a single blog that is shared by your teacher and whole class, or you could be managing your own blog.If you are managing your own blog your teacher will be sharing the administration of your blog. Your teacher will have set the audience (privacy) level of your blog.
It could be:
- private (only you can log in and see anything)
- password protected (you can set a password that you can tell your parents, family and friends)
- open (but not shared to any search engines) this means anyone who knows the address (URL) of your blog will be able to see it but they can’t use Google or any search engine to find it
- open to everyone and searchable by search engines (Everyone in the world can see it)
It is important that you understand who can see your blog as it will influence what your write and share. If you are unsure ask your teacher. If you are the administrator of your own blog you will be able to set the privacy level for each page or post you create. Your teacher may gradually change your permissions as you progress.
In order to create your blog your teacher will have created a user name (one that doesn’t identify you to strangers) and your school email address. (that also shouldn’t identify you to strangers.) You will need the username to login and your email address to manage your blog eg reset passwords, receive notices of comments etc
Smart, safe and responsible use
Using Global2 you must be a safe, responsible and ethical user at all times, by:
- Respecting others and communicating with them in a supportive manner; never writing or participating in on-line bullying (for example, forwarding messages and supporting others in harmful, inappropriate or hurtful on-line behaviours)
- Protecting your privacy; not giving out personal details, including my full name, telephone number, address, passwords and images
- Protecting the privacy of others; never posting or forwarding their personal details or images without their consent
- Talking to a teacher or parent if you personally feel uncomfortable or unsafe on-line, or if I see others participating in unsafe, inappropriate or hurtful on-line behaviours
- Carefully considering the content that I upload or post on-line; this is often viewed as a personal reflection of who I am
- Investigating the terms and conditions (e.g. age restrictions, parental consent requirements). If my understanding is unclear I will seek further explanation from a trusted adult.
Bullying and Cyberbullying
Interactive Learning Modules
Let your teacher know that there are some interesting curriculum resources around these interactives on Bully Stoppers